Against All Cuts: Vote TUSC in Swansea Council Elections
1st March 2012
Swansea Socialist Party and Socialist Party Wales will be contesting the local council elections in May this year as part of the Trade Unionist and Socialist Coalition (TUSC).
TUSC will be the only option on the ballot paper standing against all cuts.
Every year, billions of pounds in tax is avoided or evaded by the super rich. Banks bailed out with public money are dishing out billions in bonuses. We believe that ordinary people shouldn't have to pay for a crisis that they didn't cause.
The TUSC Platform for the 2012 local elections in England and Wales:
- Oppose all cuts to council jobs, services, pay and conditions - we reject the claim that 'some cuts' are necessary to our services.
- Reject increases in council tax, rent and service charges to compensate for government cuts.
- Vote against the privatisation of council jobs and services, or the transfer of council services to 'social enterprises' or 'arms-length' management organisations, which are first steps to privatisation.
- Use all the legal powers available to councils, including powers to refer local NHS decisions, initiate referenda and organise public commissions and consultations, to oppose both the cuts and government polices which centrally impose the transfer of public services to private bodies.
- When faced with government cuts to council funding, councils should refuse to implement the cuts. We will support councils which in the first instance use their reserves and prudential borrowing powers to avoid passing them on - while arguing that the best way to mobilise the mass campaign that is necessary to defeat the cuts is to set a budget that meets the needs of the local community and demands that the government makes up the shortfall.
For more information, see the TUSC website or the TUSC Independent Socialist Network website.
The council elections taking place across Wales on May 3rd present an opportunity for anti-cuts campaigners to say "this economic crisis is not of our making and we will not be made to pay for it", by opposing all cuts.
Are you an anti-cuts campaigner interested in standing under the TUSC banner? Get in touch.